Friday, October 26, 2007

Nearly Endless choice of Handguns






I've taught my cousins and some friend how to shoot, and they all love it. I chose the Glock 9mm because its utterly reliable, sexy looking (yes, you hang around me long enough, and guns can be sexy!), easy to maintain, and magazines are everywhere. But I've always been well rounded on handguns, I've owned Rugers, and if I were to go to something not a Glock, Ruger would be my choice. They can be a little big, but they are utterly reliable and well built. I feel that some people hold .45 to a pedastal that wasn't there to begin with. Pistol cartridges are mediocre at best. 9mm is an all around excellent cartridge. It's suited to any service size design, and compared to it, calibers smaller than it don't even compare. So in the family of common pistol cartridges, there's lots of choices, and there are so many companies competing for your money and praise. The way I look at it, you have to choose a caliber your going to like, and chose a pistol that works well for you. If it isn't comfortable for you, you wont like it. Some may have characteristics that don't work well for you. So its all choice, and so there isn't room to judge one from another, unless you've had physical mechanical problems and/or finish problems and premature wear. So when I teach people, I imbue them with that part of the fun is researching and trying each one out, even shooting them before making a choice. Then, ones you've shot, you can tell others based on your experience that it may be good for them.

No comments: